I stumbled upon an article posted by my professor on our class webpage Technology in the classroom: why it needs to catch up fast. It is another article that states the desperate state of education. Claiming that technology has not effectively improved our global ranks. Now I pose the question is this because other nations are becoming more globally competitive? It always seams to imply that America is failing and slipping in rank because we are being outpaced. Is it that other countries are finally catching up? Have we been “oversold and underused” on integrating technology in the classroom?
I believe this all boils down to maintaining a students interest and creating a desire to learn. I have heard brilliant ideas that completely shake up and change the education system as it stands now. One of those is creating a mixed mode version of learning less days at school and more outside work with online elements. That may not be such a bad idea. I remember one of my personal issues in school was just how much time I had to be there and how much of my time I felt was just wasted with pointless busy work. Students can tell when they are given busy work and that does not push them to learn. In my case it just frustrated me and made me lose interest.
Building interest I believe is the single most important thing that we could do as educators to improve our students. If I was interested or could see a point to a task in school it motivated me that much more. Build interest and them push them for results. Stop the rising tide of mediocrity that causes community colleges to have to teach remedial high school tasks to students. I see this all the time and wonder and worry if the next generation will all be complacent with just barely good enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment