Friday, November 12, 2010

Teacher Example

This week I have been working on creating an example of the project I expect my students in my digital mastering class to create. These are university level students all who have a brand new MacBook Pro as part of their tuition.  The goal is for them to create a digital story of their home monitoring environment. What equipment they use, where it is placed, what kind of deficiencies are caused by this placement, and how can this be overcome are the questions they must ask and answer.  This should be a good practical integration of their knowledge into their own home environment.

I have been concentrating on evaluation this week.  Evaluating the links and resources I provided to make sure they reinforce concepts, and evaluating the software options I expect them to be able to create this project with.  For starters I just created an example in PowerPoint and posted it to SlideShare. Then I exported that PowerPoint into slides that were added to iMove where I could fine-tune a narration. This was something that I was not aware of how to do and took me a bit of time searching through help menus and online. The software that I suggest using for this project is very well supported and I now feel confident that if my students encounter any roadblocks such as I did they will be able to find the answers.

Searching for how to better incorporate the audio does make me want to update the original draft of the project so that audio examples of the environment are included as part of the project. This could prove to be a bit more challenging, and I have not quite figured out how this can be accurately accomplished.

In evaluating the links and resources I provided I realized that not every link will pertain to each students project, and since the project is based on their own home environment and equipment they will have to do some research as well. This will allow my students to improve on one of the ISTE NETS-S standards of Research and Information Fluency by letting them evaluate and determine the quality and appropriateness of web resources that will compliment their project.

All and all I think this project is headed in the right direction. To keep updated on my progress check out my wiki-space. The narrated slide show is soon to come, as well a rubric, and hopefully a few more graphics.




1 comment:

  1. http://masteringaudio.wikispaces.com/Examples Check out the new narrated version of the project just posted!

    ReplyDelete