Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The dawning of the digital language.


Growing up in school I remember painstakingly constructing sentences. Labeling nouns, using proper punctuation, making sure the right tense was used. It seamed like the English language that I was perfecting was a very delicate science.  The science behind the spelling of certain words to this day baffles me.

We would go through the creation of a letters, where to put the greetings and how to appropriately end. Writing papers had a very curtain structure that had to be adhered to the most precise of details or else one would not pass the class!  Now it seams like I send very few of those letters or write those papers, but I do send emails, write in blogs, and text nearly every day.

With so many people texting, blogging, and emailing it seams like we have begun to move into a new digital communication world.  A less formal world with emoticons and short hand like lol. The question that I pose then is has there been a standard developed for these new means of digital communication and how could it be ignored from being addressed inside of a classroom?

1 comment:

  1. You are right Rick, there should be some sort of standard for texting, emailing, blogging, etc. Unfortunately that would require educators to know what the standards should be (other than all capital letters = shouting). Personally I think the problem/reason is that the medium moves to quickly to pin it down with standards. By the time you construct some the world would have moved along.

    At my previous job there were 'guidelines' to writting an effective email, etc. But they were basically borrowed from 'how to write a proper letter', and not really relevant to the medium. In my opinion if we just teach proper manners they should filtrate into the use of communication technology, so that we don't find ourself ROFL when we really should be :(.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete